Which Animals Make Great Pets for Kids?
Owning a pet can be a very rewarding experience for a child. A well-chosen pet can bring years of joy, and leave fond memories of childhood growing up with a furry friend who was always by their side. Pet ownership is also a great chance for kids to learn valuable life lessons as they care for an animal. Pets are able to teach children, with the guidance of parents, a lot about responsibility and dependability. Most pets will also give a lot of affection in return for the loving attention of a child. If you’re thinking about getting your child a pet, here are some ideas.
Dogs make excellent pets for children and can be a great choice of first pet as well. Whether you choose to get a puppy to train from scratch or give a rescue dog a loving forever home, these four-legged creatures make brilliant companions for both children and adults alike. Dogs are playful animals, making them the perfect choice of pet if you’d like your child to get outside more and play in the sunshine. When choosing a dog, however, bear in mind that some breeds may be unsuitable for children. Labradors, golden retrievers, cocker spaniels and even pugs are all breeds that tend to be fool-proof safe choices for kids.
Cats are a classic choice for a child’s pet. Notoriously independent, cats require much less attention than other pets such as dogs or ponies, but they’re excellent little furry companions for kids and great fun to play with. If your family has a limited living space or no garden, a cat may be a better choice than a dog as they don’t require as much space or the same amount of exercise. Like dogs, cats need regular veterinary check-ups and some breeds of feline are more suitable for children than others. It’s best to get a cat who has had experience with children before, or get a kitten who you can raise around the kids. If you have more than one pet, you will need to be careful before bringing a fully-grown adult cat into the home as they can often have problems adapting to other animals.
A pony is an expensive choice of pet for your child, but if you live in an area with a lot of farmland and ranches it could well be a decision which comes naturally. For many children, owning a pony brings with it a sense of joy and happiness that nothing else can compare to, and pony ownership can quickly make your child learn a lot of valuable life lessons such as responsibility and the value of money. Not to mention that pony showing is great fun! If your child plans on attending shows and competitions, you’ll need a bit more gear such as a formal horse riding jacket which you can get from this horse riding jacket site.
What was your first childhood pet? We’d love to hear all about them – leave your response in the comments below!
- Amazon.com 12 Days of Deals Starts Sunday - December 2, 2016
- How To Reduce Your Stress As A Working Parent - December 2, 2016
- #BalanceYourPlate And Your Time With Stouffer’s! - November 16, 2016
- Why You May Or May Not Want A Real Estate Agent - November 15, 2016
- HOLIDAY GIFT IDEA: HP Pavilion All-in-One Desktop (27-a040se) #HPPerforms - November 12, 2016
- #MessiestBabyContest: Letting Your Kid Get Messy Is A Good Thing! - November 8, 2016
- Daylight Saving Time: How To Adjust To The Change - November 4, 2016
- Spooktacular Halloween Party Ideas for Adults - October 29, 2016
- Tips for Studying While Raising Young Kids - October 28, 2016
- Healthy Halloween Snacks and Treats - October 22, 2016