Lice and Super Lice, Oh My!
Lice and Super Lice
Lice is not something we want to think about or hear about usually, but it is a real problem when you have school-aged children. Right now there are over 25 states that are battling this new super lice, too. Super lice are not a different bug, but just ones that have become resistant to typical treatments. (To see if you state is on the list check map below)
Most OTC treatments for lice have pyrethroids in them to combat and kill the lice. Today, in many states, the insects have become resistant to these chemicals and most treatments don’t work well. You can still treat a lice outbreak with OTC chemicals, but make sure you apply a second dose 5 to 7 days later for the best results.
If you treat lice and still have problems, then you will have to take you child to the pediatrician to get a prescription strength treatment. Check with your pharmacist, too, to see if one treatment seems to be working better in your area.
Home remedies are not scientifically proven to work, but some parents try smothering the child’s hair with mayo, olive oil or even Vaseline. You do have to spread it on very thick and leave it on the head long enough to possibly work. It doesn’t hurt to try these remedies before buying the chemical treatments.
The only tried and true way to get rid of these bothersome bugs is by shaving the head. This may be okay for boys, but I don’t think many moms want to put their girls through this experience. Long and straight hair is the best home for lice, so keeping hair shorter can help.
The good news is that lice can be treated, but it may take some time. Lice do not carry diseases, so that is one thing you don’t have to worry about. These bugs are a nuisance and a real pain to take care, though. Hopefully you won’t have to deal with lice, but if you do, at least you are prepared.
- Boost Your Baby’s Immune System, Ease Tummy Trouble With #UpSpring - March 12, 2017
- Pot of Gold Crafts for Kids - March 9, 2017
- Being a Stepmom to a Teenage Girl - March 3, 2017
- TEEN LIFE: Types of Peer Pressure (It’s Not All Bad!) - February 19, 2017
- Fun & Easy Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids to Make - February 14, 2017
- Healthy Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas - February 9, 2017
- Easy to Make Mexican Dip Recipes - February 5, 2017
- Best Family Resorts of 2016 - February 2, 2017
- Best Finance Apps of 2016 - January 26, 2017
- Best Fitness Trackers of 2016 - January 22, 2017