Lice and Super Lice, Oh My!
Lice and Super Lice
Lice is not something we want to think about or hear about usually, but it is a real problem when you have school-aged children. Right now there are over 25 states that are battling this new super lice, too. Super lice are not a different bug, but just ones that have become resistant to typical treatments. (To see if you state is on the list check map below)
Most OTC treatments for lice have pyrethroids in them to combat and kill the lice. Today, in many states, the insects have become resistant to these chemicals and most treatments don’t work well. You can still treat a lice outbreak with OTC chemicals, but make sure you apply a second dose 5 to 7 days later for the best results.
If you treat lice and still have problems, then you will have to take you child to the pediatrician to get a prescription strength treatment. Check with your pharmacist, too, to see if one treatment seems to be working better in your area.
Home remedies are not scientifically proven to work, but some parents try smothering the child’s hair with mayo, olive oil or even Vaseline. You do have to spread it on very thick and leave it on the head long enough to possibly work. It doesn’t hurt to try these remedies before buying the chemical treatments.
The only tried and true way to get rid of these bothersome bugs is by shaving the head. This may be okay for boys, but I don’t think many moms want to put their girls through this experience. Long and straight hair is the best home for lice, so keeping hair shorter can help.
The good news is that lice can be treated, but it may take some time. Lice do not carry diseases, so that is one thing you don’t have to worry about. These bugs are a nuisance and a real pain to take care, though. Hopefully you won’t have to deal with lice, but if you do, at least you are prepared.
- How to Save Money on the Cost of Your College Degree - September 27, 2016
- Hey Hot Mama – Makeup Tips for Moms - September 24, 2016
- Tips To Make Potty Training A Breeze + #PampersEasyUps Giveaway - September 21, 2016
- Top 8 Inspiring Bathroom Tips to Make the Room Seem Bigger - September 20, 2016
- Staying Safe On The Road With Quaker State #CambialoConQS - September 14, 2016
- Honey Bunches Of Oats: This Is Everything! - September 9, 2016
- Not Just Wealthy People Need a Financial Plan - August 31, 2016
- 5 Back To School Shopping Money Saving Tips - August 30, 2016
- Save Money On Macbooks With Groupon - August 27, 2016
- 5 Grab And Go Snacks We Love #FiberOne #FiberUp - August 24, 2016