#DearSofia: Keeping Hand-written Letters Alive!

This is part of a sponsored collaboration with DiMeMedia and Disney Junior. However, all opinions expressed are my own.

Here’s a question for you…when was the last time you wrote a letter to someone? Like, actually took out a piece of stationary and pen, sat down and put your thoughts to paper? I can honestly say I haven’t done much of this at all the past few years. Technology has advanced so much and has changed the way we communicate with those far and near to us. That’s why I absolutely LOVED the opportunity that I got to experience with my little Lola and Carter and their friends during a recent #DearSofia party.

I remember when I was a kid, I did a lot of letter writing. My cousin and I who lived in the same town wrote hand-written letters to each other every summer, especially after our summer camping adventures. I loved the idea of running to the mailbox everyday just to see if I had any mail addressed to me! Nowadays, most kids communicate via text or emails.

We recently had an awesome letter writing party at our home and one of the not-so-shocking revelations was that not many of the kids had ever written a hand-written letter anyone…so this party was a real treat for everyone! What a fun time it was to bond with the kiddos and to see their creativity shine.

Learning how to write a letter is a simple process and there is not a right way to do so. One thing that the kids learned is that you can write words, draw pictures, and even use stickers and stamps to get across your message.

I have to tell you, Disney Junior’s Sofia the First is such a fun character…not only because my daughter loves her but because of the qualities and values she embodies. Sofia is brave, courageous, curious, creative and adventurous and a great friend!

Dear Sofia Letter Writing
Need some extra magical encouragement to help your child to write their first letter? Disney Junior’s Sofia the First has issued a royal challenge! Any letter sent to Sofia will receive a royal response from Sofia back in the mail! Your child writes a Dear Sofia Letter, you pop it into the mail, and Sofia will send one back personalized for your child.

Want to host your own Dear Sofia letter writing party? Follow these steps and watch in amazement as the children’s faces fill with delight. For more details go here.

Here’s a few tips for a memorable #DearSofia the First party!

– Download the printable #DearSofia Sofia the First stationary – available in English and Spanish!

– Let them the kiddos have fun – encourage their creativity through different forms of letter writing expressions.

– Provide stickers, markers, stamps, anything that you think will get them excited about their special letter to Sofia!

– Save the date: October 12th at 9am ET to catch the newest Sofia the First: The Secret Library featuring a special appearance by Merida from Brave!

To ensure that the letter is received and replied to, your child’s name must be clearly written (you can do that once they are done). Make sure to place a stamp on your envelope and clearly print your return address. Your letter can be mailed to Dear Sofia – 244 Madison Avenue, Box #411, New York, NY 10016. All letters must be sent by December 31st, 2015. Remember, traditional mail can sometimes take a little awhile and Enchancia is really far away. Sofia will write back soon!

Disney Junior asked young tech savvy children about the different ways we communicate with others and I must say these responses were pretty funny when it came to mail and letter writing. Oh the words out of babies’ mouths! Watch it for yourself here:

30 Responses to “#DearSofia: Keeping Hand-written Letters Alive!

• The art of writing letters should be kept alive. This sounds like a really fun letter writing party. I will have my girls join this.

1 year ago

That is a cute idea, but we are an email family for sure.

• I love this idea. I feel like handwritting is becoming a thing of the past. So sad.

1 year ago

It is a thing of the past I can barely write a paragraph without my hand cramping up.

• I love this post. I think it’s really sad that letter writing is a lost art and that future generations won’t get to find old letters written by their parents.

• Sofia the First is such a popular character. I know so many girls who would love to write to her!

• I used to adore writing letters it is such a shame it just isn’t done so much now. x

• I think this is a terrific idea. No one hand writes letters anymore with all the texting and emailing. It’s a lost art.

• This would be so much fun. I remember having pen pals as a child. This would be a fun way to share that with the kids.

• I remember having pen pals, and having handwritten diaries! I tried to get my daughter into both of those but maybe something like this would have worked better.

• Gosh I remember keeping a diary too. I think something fun like this would definitely kick start an interest in writing.

• I love handwritten letters. My kids have friends of mine they just recently started writing their kiddos, and love it too!

• I love handwritten notes and letters, but could not tell you the last time I did either. I need to do it more often.

• Well other than a ton of thank you notes after baby showers, I probably have not written a letter in 25 years. I saw this on the Disney Channel and thought it was a sweet idea.

• I bet Bella would love that. Bella has a few penpals with some other kids who also have 22q and I bet she would love to write to sofia.
    Bella is 8 and is really starting to be good at writing.

• Racheldmorris@gmail.com'
    1 year ago

I LOVE this idea! Letter writing is such a lost art! My daughter wrote a letter to Ariel last year and got a postcard sent back to her. She loved it!

• dsargen3@gmail.com'
    Catherine S
    1 year ago

This is such a great idea. I always have my son sit down and write a letter to grandma and grandpa at least once a month.

• This is a fantastic idea to get kids to practice the art of writing a letter. I will have to share this with my friend for her kids.

• It’s sad that hand written letters are so rare these days. I used to rush to the mailbox every day hoping to get one in the box. I love the idea of a hand written letter party so kids can still experience the thrill of it!

• Mamasita A
      1 year ago

I was that little girl who always was so excited to run to the mailbox and even more when I saw MY name on an envelope!

• It’s so sad that the art of writing letters is dying. I still encourage my kids to do so because it’s more personal and it’s so much fun. A writing party sounds like a wonderful idea.

• I loved writing letters to my friends as a kid. I kinda miss that now!

• jennifer@welovplaytime.com'
    Jennifer Williams
    1 year ago

We all write letters to my mother and mail them. E-mail is great but there is nothing better then that personal touch.

• What a great idea. Hand written letters are an important way to communicate with loved ones.

• Sounds like a fun letter writing party which will engage kids in to trying out hand written letters which has become old memories after we have the most advanced technology these days. I still have few hundreds of letters sent by my best friends during my school & college life, which I used to have a look at when ever I need to go back to those memories.

• I think kids should be practicing letter writing. We write letters to our family that live far away. I get the kids to do the writing so they can practice. I love getting letters in the mail.

• Awe!! You little girl is so cute writing her letter! I used to write letters all the time. It’s too sad that we rely on email.

• There is something so magical and so loving about handwritten letters. I’m glad that some people still take the time out to write them.

• Letter writing can be so expressive. I always loved writing and I’m glad my kids like it too.

• I try to write letters by hand when possible. I find a handwritten letter so much more personal than an email.