5 Healthy Halloween Tips for Kids
Healthy Halloween Tips for Kids
It is that time of year again when the kids get dressed up as their favorite princess or superhero. It is also the time of year that some parents dread because of the pile of sugary sweets kids bring home from their trick-or-treating ventures. The good news is that there are ways kids can enjoy the festivities and parents can ensure they won’t be overloaded on sugar. Here are some healthy Halloween tips for kids.
Eat before heading out– In order to prevent the kids from snacking while out trick-or-treating, ensure they eat dinner first or at the very least, a healthy snack.
Limit the trick or treat area– One of the best ways to prevent the kids from coming home with a boatload of candy is to limit where they go. You can set boundaries like a three block radius or only houses on two or three streets. This way, it will moderate the number of treats in their bags.
Practice portion control– Once all the candy has been inspected, it is important to set limits on how much candy they can eat each day. Did you know that just one or two snack size candy bars can easily make up 100 calories? Candy doesn’t have to be consumed right away since most of it has a long shelf life. Limit their candy to one or two pieces a day for the smaller treats. Larger treats can be cut up into three or four pieces.
Combine sweets with fruit– Sweets can fit into your child’s diet in limited amount and can be combined with healthy snacks like fruit. For a snack, they can have one snack size sweet with a banana or an apple. Be sure they eat the fruit first so they won’t be as hungry for the candy.
Brush brush brush– Candies are filled with sugar, which contributes to cavities. It is for this reason that you ensure your child brushes their teeth and flosses after they eat any type of sweets.
- Great Courses for Moms Returning to School - January 10, 2017
- How to Control Your Health Care Education Costs - January 10, 2017
- Recipes for Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings - December 11, 2016
- Leveraging Tech to Make Parenting Easier: 3 Essential Tips - December 4, 2016
- What Every Mother Should Know Before Returning to College - November 26, 2016
- The Best Black Friday Facebook Pages - November 23, 2016
- YUM ALERT: Basic Fruit Dip Recipes - November 15, 2016
- Brilliant Hacks for Organizing Your Closets - October 6, 2016
- 6 Best Websites to Help You Save Money - September 4, 2016
- Having Fun with Kids on a Budget – Try These Free and Cheap Activities - August 23, 2016