5 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Recycle
There is a lot of awareness and support for recycling today, and it is a great thing to do. We all try to do our best to recycle paper, plastic, glass and aluminum cans, but there are a lot of other items we can recycle. Here are just a few of the things you may not have thought about being able to bring somewhere to recycle.
Makeup is a good category. Did you know that major Makeup chains allow you to bring in your old (even used) makeup? Origins has a program for several years where you bring in an empty container and they will send it to recycling facility for you. The makeup can be any brand, too. MAC Cosmetics will accept empty packaging from their brands only, but will also offer an incentive after returning so many packages (right now it is get a free lipstick after returning 6 empty containers.)
Did you know that Nike will recycle old sneakers? Their Reuse A Shoe Program will grind down athletic shoes that are worn out and then use the material to make sports courts and even surfaces for playgrounds. What a great way to be good to the planet and help out others.
If you have old non-working appliances, car parts or construction materials, The Steel Recycling Institute is a great resource and can tell you where you recycle these items.
Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (or CFLs) have not been around that long, but they can be recycled. Most local recycling plants will not take these bulbs, but most IKEA stores will gladly accept them for recycling. Just call first to make sure that the store in your area does take the bulbs.
Foam packaging materials, such as peanuts, will sometimes be accepted by a store that packs and ships boxes. You can also find a drop-off location on the EPS Industry Alliance site.
Try to recycle and reuse whatever you can to help our planet. If you are in doubt, contact your local government’s recycling program and they should be able to direct you. Just take a minute to think before you just throw anything away!
- Leveraging Tech to Make Parenting Easier: 3 Essential Tips - December 4, 2016
- What Every Mother Should Know Before Returning to College - November 26, 2016
- The Best Black Friday Facebook Pages - November 23, 2016
- YUM ALERT: Basic Fruit Dip Recipes - November 15, 2016
- Brilliant Hacks for Organizing Your Closets - October 6, 2016
- 6 Best Websites to Help You Save Money - September 4, 2016
- Having Fun with Kids on a Budget – Try These Free and Cheap Activities - August 23, 2016
- Things To Pack Your College Freshman + Bed Bath & Beyond Giveaway - August 8, 2016
- 4 Amazon Hacks Every Shopper Should Know - August 5, 2016
- 4 Steps to Make Your Tablet a Budgeting Tool - July 27, 2016