10 Facts About Independence Day
The 4th of July is the day we celebrate America’s Independence from British Rule. We all like to celebrate, but there are probably some interesting things about July 4th that you might not know.
Surprise your friends this holiday with these little facts about our Independence Day.
1. July 4, 1826 is the date both Jefferson and John Adams passed away. James Madison also died on the July 4th date. One President was born on this date- Calvin Coolidge on 7/4/1872.
2. The only two men that actually signed the Declaration on 7/4/1776 were Charles Thompson and John Hancock. The youngest person to sign the Declaration of Independence was only 27, Jefferson was 33, and the oldest was Ben Franklin at age 70. 7 signers were alumni of Harvard University.
3. The original draft by Jefferson was lost and the actual signed Declaration of Independence is called the “engrossed” document. The printed versions of the Declaration were called the Dunlap Broadside. 200 of these were printed, but only 27 are known to still exist today.
4. Many other countries used our Declaration to assist them in coming up with their own. Some of these include Poland, Russia, various South American countries, and Greece.
5. Although Americans like to sing “Yankee Doodle Dandy”, it was actually sung by British officers to mock the ‘Yankees”.
6. The population in America in 1776 was only 2.5 million, compared to over 317 million today.
7. Hot Dogs are the most popular food eaten on the 4th of July- around 150 million! Sounds better than the turtle soup the Founder’s probably had at their celebratory meal.
8. Rwanda and the Philippines celebrate liberation days on July 4th. It is Republic Day in Southeast Asia.
9. Independence Day was first celebrated at the White House in 1801.
10. Bristol, Rhode Island has had an Independence Day celebration continuously since 1785, making it the oldest one in the U.S.
We should be proud of our history and our celebrations on July 4th, but it is fun to learn some facts about the 4th of July that most people don’t know. Enjoy the fireworks and Hot Dogs!
- Brilliant Hacks for Organizing Your Closets - October 6, 2016
- 6 Best Websites to Help You Save Money - September 4, 2016
- Having Fun with Kids on a Budget – Try These Free and Cheap Activities - August 23, 2016
- Things To Pack Your College Freshman + Bed Bath & Beyond Giveaway - August 8, 2016
- 4 Amazon Hacks Every Shopper Should Know - August 5, 2016
- 4 Steps to Make Your Tablet a Budgeting Tool - July 27, 2016
- 50 Baby & Toddler Pool Floats Amazon Round Up - July 19, 2016
- About Saving Money on Academic Essay Writing - July 14, 2016
- BAM! Instant Guest Room With #OoRooBeds - July 14, 2016
- 3 Tips for Maintaining a Frugal Mindset - June 16, 2016