Memorial Day Fun on a Budget
Want to do something with the family this Memorial Day without spending a ton of money? Memorial Day Weekend is a nice time for some family experiences, and there are lots of things you can do that will fit your budget.
Think about a ‘staycation’, especially if you don’t live in a traditional tourist’s spot. A lot of local hotels have decent rates and things for the kids to do. You don’t have to travel far from home. Hotel chains like Drury Inn usually offer indoor/outdoor pools and hot tubs. Drury also has free breakfasts and complimentary snacks/drinks in the evening hours. Hampton Inn also offers a great breakfast spread, which is included.
If your family enjoys the great outdoors, think about a camping weekend. Even if you don’t have your own camping equipment, you can sometimes enjoy cabins. Some campgrounds offer family and group activities as well.
Think desert! This is the end of the nice season in places such as Palm Springs or Phoenix, so hotels and resorts tend to offer special pricing in late May. There are many outdoor spots to visit in these locations, and the weather should be warm, but not scorching.
Washington, D.C. is a great place for history buffs. Memorial Day celebrations abound, with parades and concerts that are generally free. If you have family members, past or present, in the military, it is a great way to teach your children about what Memorial Day is all about.
Atlantic City and the Jersey shore are great locales during this time. Atlantic City has special promos that run through the end of June, so finding a good hotel deal should be easy. There is also an annual Memorial Day Luau with food and music.
There are lots of arts festivals this weekend all around the country. Denver has a large Downtown Arts Festival. Ashland, Oregon has the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Monterey has a California Roots Music and Arts Festival (and great seafood and beaches!)
Whether you want to travel or stay close to home, there are many fun activities for you and your family to do on Memorial Day weekend. You are sure to find something new and exciting to try, and stay within your budget, too!
- Fantastic Ways to Celebrate Winter as a Family - February 13, 2016
- Delicious Winter Salad Ideas - February 5, 2016
- Avoiding Christmas Burnout - November 8, 2015
- Holiday Health Do’s and Don’ts - November 5, 2015
- How to Make the Holidays Easier When You Are Divorced - November 2, 2015
- What Retail Stores are Open Thanksgiving Day? - November 1, 2015
- The Best All-Natural Mood Boosters - October 28, 2015
- Best Fall Home Buying Tips - October 22, 2015
- Educational Thanksgiving Activities for Kids - October 20, 2015
- DIY Autumn Candles for Your Home - October 9, 2015