The Impact Of An Oil Refinery Through The Eyes Of A Thirteen Year Old
Last night I was helping my daughter study for her 7th grade Science test. I was happy to take on that challenge as lately we have been experiencing the I’d-rather-just-hang-out-in-my-room-by-myself-and-ignore-the-world teenager stuff and she was actually very welcoming to have me step foot in her room. Alright honey, let’s talk anemones, asexual reproduction, herbivores and…oil refineries??? Yeah, I’ll get to that but first…
A little background on my sweet thirteen year old.
She’s smart. Like really smart. 4.0 every quarter so far this year and she wants to be a biomedical scientist. She wants to find a cure for cancer and I totally believe she could! She’s MY kid for gawd’s sake..of COURSE she’s brilliant. Ok, ok, I wasn’t a straight A student like her, but I do consider well educated.
At any rate, as she curled up on her bed and I in her chair, we got to a question about sea life and things that are detrimental to their well-being. One of the answers? Oil refineries.
I then quietly asked her if she knew that our town was in the process of building an oil refinery in our city limits.
She looked at me blankly, with that look that teenagers give when they are about to give an eye roll, and said, “What? For real?”
I proceeded cautiously and responded with, “Yes, it’s been in the works for months now.”
It wasn’t even seconds later that I could see the look of frustration on her face. “Are you serious? Whose idea was this? Why? Don’t they realize how horrible this is for the environment? For the air we breathe? For us and the other living beings?”
She became quite interested as to where this oil refinery was going to be located and when it was going to be here. I answered the questions that she had as best as I could and informed her that this “business” will be good for the city’s economy, for job growth and the city will profit off of this immensely.
“So it’s all about money?”
A thirteen year old with common sense, fear and so many questions.
Image via Getty Images
- HOLIDAY DEALS: Zootopia and Miles From Tomorrowland Bundles on TOMY.com - December 10, 2016
- Christmas Trees On Parade - December 9, 2016
- Best Holiday Styles Ideas for Teen/Tween Boys - December 8, 2016
- Quilted Northern Target Cartwheel Offer! - December 5, 2016
- Amazon.com 12 Days of Deals Starts Sunday - December 2, 2016
- How To Reduce Your Stress As A Working Parent - December 2, 2016
- #BalanceYourPlate And Your Time With Stouffer’s! - November 16, 2016
- Why You May Or May Not Want A Real Estate Agent - November 15, 2016
- HOLIDAY GIFT IDEA: HP Pavilion All-in-One Desktop (27-a040se) #HPPerforms - November 12, 2016
- #MessiestBabyContest: Letting Your Kid Get Messy Is A Good Thing! - November 8, 2016