TAKE THE QUIZ: How Young Is Too Young For A Phone?
I remember quite vividly the conversation my husband and I had about our kids having phones. It wasn’t going to happen. We survived without cell phones when we were kids, so they can too! Well, sorry to break the news to you honey, times have changed!
My philosophy is, if the technology is there, why not use it?!
The question is, is your kid ready for the HUGE responsibility? And by ready, I mean REALLY ready?
Here’s a fun little fact for you. Nielsen data recently revealed that 70% of kids age 13-17 now have a smartphone, compared to two years ago when that figure was only 36%. SEVENTY PERCENT!!!
Here’s a quiz from Zact Mobile, the experts in smartphones for kids, that can help you see if your child is ready for his/her first phone.
Does your child? (add 1 point for every “Yes” answer):
*Need the smartphone to stay connected to you for emergencies?
*Understand what types of apps are okay to download?
*Understand how to surf the web safely?
*Know how to use the phone safely and appropriately?
*Know who it’s okay to communicate with and who it’s not?
*Know what they should or shouldn’t share online?
*Know what kinds of words or pictures not to send?
*Respect your rules and adhere to time and usage limits?
*Understand the concept of voice, text and data limits and how to stay within them?
*Understand how to be responsible and to take care of not losing his or her phone?
You should hold off on getting your child a smartphone. But get the conversation started between you and your child about responsibility on using smartphones.
Your child is “normal”, but it’s not out of the question to get your child a smartphone, especially if he or she needs to reach you in an emergency. Make sure you get a smarter phone that lets you set limits on how your child can use the phone.
Your child is ready, but will need “training wheels” for their first smartphone. Help your child to understand the rules, and use voice, data & text restrictions and parental controls to keep things in line.
CONGRATULATIONS! Your child has the responsibility and awareness readying them for a smartphone.
My daughter is 13 and does have a phone and so far it has been very beneficial especially with her involvement in various school activities. So far she ONLY uses the phone to make phone calls.
How old do you think is too young for a phone?
- Best Fitness Trackers of 2016 - January 22, 2017
- How to Avoid Common Errors When Ordering Flowers Online - January 19, 2017
- Budget Friendly Family Activities - January 19, 2017
- Best Recipe Apps of 2016 - January 17, 2017
- HOLIDAY GIFT IDEA: ArcKit For Your Little Builder - December 20, 2016
- The Hidden Moving Costs Nobody Tells You About - December 18, 2016
- HOLIDAY DEALS: Zootopia and Miles From Tomorrowland Bundles on TOMY.com - December 10, 2016
- Christmas Trees On Parade - December 9, 2016
- Best Holiday Styles Ideas for Teen/Tween Boys - December 8, 2016
- Quilted Northern Target Cartwheel Offer! - December 5, 2016