5 Tips For Paying Bills On Time and Avoiding Unnecessary Fees
It took me quite some time to figure out how to stay on top of my bills and to actually have a cohesive plan that worked for my husband and I. I was in charge of paying the bills (but recently gave that job up) because he was gone a lot for his military career, so I was forced to come up with a plan to pay bills on time and avoid unnecessary fees. It can get even more challenging when the holiday season arrives.
So what are some ways you can keep your bills paid on time and avoid late fees? Check out these tips:
1. Direct Pay Or Online Bill Pay: This service has saved us quite in bit in many circumstances. The majority of the companies that we have monthly payments to we set up to automatically withdraw from our bank account on the same day every month. Our utilities bill, our telephone/cable/internet, our mortgage payment, etc are all bills that automatically come out of our account. While a lot of these companies have different due dates, we have called them to see if we can change out the due date and we have never had a problem with getting them to work with us that way. Banks will offer a lower percent interest rate if you have direct withdrawal.
2. Google Docs: Not all of our bills have the automatic bill pay so we do have to keep an organization of these bills and then write out a check to the companies for the due date. If the due dates are not working for us, we do contact the company to see if we can move those dates. Google docs has been an easy way for us to keep our other bills and their due dates organized. While technology may not be comfortable for everyone to use, try a binder specifically just for your bills.
3. Pay Your Bills The Day They Arrive: Another way to save yourself the headache of remembering if you paid your bills is to pay your bill as soon as you get your statement in the mail. Open your bill, write out a check, slap a stamp on it and throw it back in the mailbox.
4. Pay Off Your Credit Card Every Month: If you use a credit card for its perks, pay it off every month. That way, it doesn’t feel as if you have more money than you have and you won’t overspend.
5. Be Mindful During The Holiday Season, Spend Within Your Means: It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and lose sight of the goals we’ve set to help us achieve financial peace of mind. This holiday, to encourage consumers to stay on track with their finances, Capital One 360 is decking the halls with deals you can bank on, including new account bonuses, referral bonuses and closing cost credits.
Once the Thanksgiving celebrations are done, be sure to add Capital One 360’s Black Friday Sale to your shopping list. Visit Capital One’s website to give yourself the lasting gift of financial peace of mind by taking advantage of Capital One 360’s deals on banking, brokerage and mortgage products.
While you may have gifts, greetings and get-togethers on the brain, it’s important not to lose sight of your financial goals. All of Capital One 360’s Black Friday Sale deals are designed to encourage consumers to keep their finances top of mind.
In addition to taking advantage of deals on banking, brokerage and mortgage products yourself, you can give your friends and family the gift of financial peace of mind by encouraging them to take advantage of the deals and refer them to the sale. If they sign up, you may be eligible for a $40 referral bonus.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
- TEEN LIFE: Types of Peer Pressure (It’s Not All Bad!) - February 19, 2017
- Fun & Easy Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids to Make - February 14, 2017
- Healthy Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas - February 9, 2017
- Easy to Make Mexican Dip Recipes - February 5, 2017
- Best Family Resorts of 2016 - February 2, 2017
- Best Finance Apps of 2016 - January 26, 2017
- Best Fitness Trackers of 2016 - January 22, 2017
- How to Avoid Common Errors When Ordering Flowers Online - January 19, 2017
- Budget Friendly Family Activities - January 19, 2017
- Best Recipe Apps of 2016 - January 17, 2017