Parents and Tweens: Which Parent Are You?

parent

Be a responsible, friendly, communicative parent to your tween. Do set guidelines that need to be followed. This will give them insight into what you expect. Any inappropriate behavior should be dealt with accordingly. Punishments could be cutting back or eliminating television time, time on the computer or even restrictions in video game playing. Once the consequences are clearly outlined, your tween may be reluctant to step over the guidelines you have set out for them.

What Parent Are You

Being a parent to a tween is hard work. Emotions will be conflicting and you all may seem to be at lager heads for the most part. Let’s think of the tween years of the calm before the storm. Here are some parent types for you to ponder, so you can change your actions to reflect the parent type that you think can be a better role model for your tween.

The Ignorant Parent– The ignorant or clueless parent simply refuses to face matters head on. They may have evidence or feeling about certain behaviors that are not appropriate but refuse to bring the matter up to the tween. Sweeping things under the rug or wearing blinders is not going to help your tween in their teenage years. Not dealing with inappropriate behavior now, means that you accept this and it can continue.

So which parent are you?

33 Responses to “Parents and Tweens: Which Parent Are You?

Robin (Masshole Mommy)

My son just turned 10 and he is super sassy. I try to be understanding.

• I am the open and honest parent that does for my kids but does my best to ensure that they are independent.

• Great topic! I am understanding but always want my kids to put their best foot forward.

• I’ve always faced things head on. I’ve never been an ignorant parent, I don’t feel.

• I can only imagine how hard it is being a tween parent I was a right handful. x

• My children are grown but what I found is this: I was never my child’s friend, I was mom. As such, I wanted respect for not only myself but my things. I was there when they needed me and I tried to make the best decisions at the time. Did I make mistakes, definitely. Now I am at the other end and I have two grown adults who are great people, socially conscious, good hearted and kind. They have great work ethics because nothing was handed to them. If they wanted extra they learned at a very young age to work for it. They did and still do. I am very proud of how my kids turned out.

• omm twins, I only have one daughter and sometimes I feel i’m going crazy but after reading this post I will try to be more understanding. Ty

• I don’t even want to think about the teen or tween years. My son is just 3, and some days 3 is hard to handle .:)

• Well, I’m not a mom yet, but MY mom set the bar pretty high LOL She was a strong mom, but understanding, too. The best.

• chrissy4gordon24@yahoo.com'
    Chrissy

I’m a pretty laid back parent but I discipline them when necessary.

• I hope kids see me as a fun caring parent
    I do become very strict when it comes to manners and education

• mrs198128@yahoo.com'
    Melissa Smith

My oldest is 8 & I usually tackle things head on when there’s an issue. I’m hoping it will make everything easier for the tween years.

• Sometimes I wonder what tween and teen years will be like because we already have some struggles with attitudes and back talking at 4 and 7! I’d like to think if we handle this well now maybe those years won’t be so bad … time will tell!!

• I’m a very caring parent, wanting the best for my daughter.

• My kids are grown and out of the house now and I feel very lucky that we’re still close and I talk to them almost every day.

• I’m a caring, very involved parent. My oldest is about to turn 11, he comes to me about everything and I know that won’t always be the case so I’ll try to be understanding and pretty awesome as much as I can and as long as I can.

• I was firm but loving with my kids but face issues head on. I always made sure that even when it seemed like we were friends, I was their mom first.

• Hmm, I don’t know! I want to say I’m strict, but not too strict, fun but not too fun. kind of a “middle” parent? Everyone is so different though, so my vision of “strict” could be totally different than yours.

• I’m not a believer in a one size fits all parenting style, or for any relationship for that matter. We need to be responsive to changing circumstances, and even if all you have it a hammer, not everything you see is a nail.

• Thankfully I am not at the tween stage yet – but it seems life as a tween is getting harder and harder. I hope to be understanding..yet firm.

• I have the advantage of having grown children that feel free to tell me what kind of parent I was when they were growing up. For the most part, I passed with flying colors. 😉

• amandalove1976@outlook.com'
    Amanda Love - Growing Up Madison

I am the caring and laid back parent. I don’t want to be too strict with my kids but I also don’t want to be a pushover.

• MY son just turned two and he definitely has a personality! THanks for the tips.

• I am definitely not the ignorant parent. My kids hate that I am always confronting them head on, but we gotta nip problems in the bud as soon as we are aware of them.

• naturallycrackedmama@gmail.com'
    Tiffany Steadman-Collins

I am the parent that parents with my heart. I listen and trust that my response will be the appropriate one for each situation as they are all different. I love with no boundaries and guide when need be but in a gentle manner.

• Mine aren’t that age yet, thankfully. I like to think I’ll be the open and honest parent.

• My kids were a handful when it came to their sassy mouths! They got it from their dad. Not me. Their dad.

• My sister is a tween, and she drives me nuts. :/ I love her, but it’s hard to handle a tween with her exaggeration and over-reaction. Phew, a lot of work.. can’t even imagine as a mom!

• Annb10@rogers.com'
    Ann Bacciaglia

My children are 19 and 16. We have a great relationship. They know they can talk to me about anything and their friends know my door is always open if they are in need.

• Well there wasn’t many options listed to choose from……….
    I am an honest, open , and ever praying Mama. That’s about all you need.

• I can’t imagine parenting a tween. I was pretty difficult, even then. My teenage years were even worse.

• I grew up in a Haitian family and there was no talking back to your elders lol I will definitely NOT be a ignorant parent!

• Lol I am not a parent but I bet it’s so difficult.