Parenting Your Tween
Whoa, boy. These are the fun times you guys!
Parents of tween children can often become surprised at their sudden change in personality. (Yep, I’m one of them.) A child that may have at one time been quiet and reserved may suddenly become more vocal and demanding. This is just the beginning of the enormous tidal wave that we as parents must ride out. And somehow I have seemed to forget that I was there once too. I just don’t ever remember it being THAT bad, but at the time it was.
When a child is in between the age of 7-9, they are normally comfortable sitting on your lap and being all lovey-dovey. Once they hit the 10-12 years of age, it is just the start of tidal wave that fully immerses once they have hit their teen years.
Children between the ages of 10-12 suddenly become aware of the opposite sex, and I do mean aware. Girl children will often adorn makeup and start worrying more about their appearance. You may also suddenly find that they often want to go with a group of friends to the mall. This is of course, to window shop, and I do not mean for clothes. They are checking out the local boys for future boyfriend potential.
As for the boys, they too are fully aware of members of the opposite sex during these years. No longer are they interested in toys as their minds are on that cute girl in class or one that lives near your home.
Remember that during these years, your child is trying to find themselves. It is okay to let go of the reins a little as they struggle to find their independence. Of course, this does not mean to set guidelines. Explain to them that these guidelines are for their benefit and safety. Commend them on a job well done as this is great for their self-esteem. However, do not be afraid to be stern with them if they should suddenly step out of line.
You are their parent first, not their BFF! And well, they probably don’t want you as their BFF at this point anyways.
Am I right?
- TEEN LIFE: Types of Peer Pressure (It’s Not All Bad!) - February 19, 2017
- Fun & Easy Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids to Make - February 14, 2017
- Healthy Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas - February 9, 2017
- Easy to Make Mexican Dip Recipes - February 5, 2017
- Best Family Resorts of 2016 - February 2, 2017
- Best Finance Apps of 2016 - January 26, 2017
- Best Fitness Trackers of 2016 - January 22, 2017
- How to Avoid Common Errors When Ordering Flowers Online - January 19, 2017
- Budget Friendly Family Activities - January 19, 2017
- Best Recipe Apps of 2016 - January 17, 2017