5 Tips on Soothing a Teething Child
It can be really frustrating for a parent who has a baby who is teething. You can expect the baby to be cranky, downright miserable even. Signs of discomfort are apparent and crying can go on for hours. Several hours of the day are spent trying to soothe the teething child. Here are some tips on how to soothe a child who is teething. These tips will help to relieve their pain and save your sanity.
Tips on Soothing a Teething Child
1. Cold Compress– Make up a cold compress using a facecloth or even a cold gel pack. Run it under cold water so that it is not completely frozen. Apply it to the face for 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off. This should relieve some of the discomfort and swelling.
2. Over the Counter Meds– Parents of teething children often use over the counter meds such as children’s Tylenol. Give these to your child to help relieve teething pain. Follow instructions to as how many to give the child and at what interval.
3. Give Them Cold Treats– Give them cold treats such as popsicles, freezies, or jello. These will soothe the gums and also keep them hydrated.
4. Teething Rings– Teething rings are great for sore gums. Several different types are available. They have teething rings that are filled with liquid and others are hollow inside.
5. Orajel– Some parents count on Orajel to relieve teething pain. At one time, this over the counter topical ointment was given to a teething child, regardless of age. This has since changed and it is now recommended not to use it on children under 2 years of age.
A child who is teething will be fussy and in a lot of pain. Massaging the gums seems to help, so make sure that you massage their gums daily. Try to distract them as much as possible by turning on their favorite television show or even some music.
- Fantastic Ways to Celebrate Winter as a Family - February 13, 2016
- Delicious Winter Salad Ideas - February 5, 2016
- Avoiding Christmas Burnout - November 8, 2015
- Holiday Health Do’s and Don’ts - November 5, 2015
- How to Make the Holidays Easier When You Are Divorced - November 2, 2015
- What Retail Stores are Open Thanksgiving Day? - November 1, 2015
- The Best All-Natural Mood Boosters - October 28, 2015
- Best Fall Home Buying Tips - October 22, 2015
- Educational Thanksgiving Activities for Kids - October 20, 2015
- DIY Autumn Candles for Your Home - October 9, 2015