5 Tips on How to Save Money on Utilities
Cutting corners on every day necessities is common nowadays. The cost of living is steadily on the rise and sadly the wages are not. People are struggling to pay rent and have money left over for groceries, and heaven forbid if you have other expenses as well. Some renters are lucky enough to have found a place to rent in which utilities are included, but for others who have not been as lucky or happen to own a home are faced with rising utility costs. Here are some tips on how to save money on utilities.
Cutting Corners on Utility Use
1. Unplug Small Appliances– Although it may seem inconvenient, unplugging small appliances can save you money over time. Before heading to bed, unplug your toaster, kettle, and microwave.
2. Use Portable Fans– Use portable fans to cool a room rather than a ceiling fan. Portable fans can be moved from room to room as needed and use less power to run. Air conditioners should only be turned on during heat waves or in attic rooms.
3. Collect Rainwater– Invest in a plastic barrel to collect rainwater. Use the rainwater to water your garden and flowers. The rainwater can also be used to fill birdbaths or used to wash down decks, outdoor furniture, and so forth.
4. Use a Programmable Thermostat– Use a programmable thermostat to set your heating and cooling equipment to turn on or off at certain temperatures. Lower the temperature settings when you all are going out. There is no sense heating or cooling the place down where there is no one there. Of course, if you are a pet owner and they are not going with you, then you need to think about their comfort as well.
5. Replace Leaky Faucets– If you happen to have a leaky faucet, fix it. You would be amazed at how much you can save on your water bill over the year(s).
What do you do to cut corners on your energy consumption?
- Fantastic Ways to Celebrate Winter as a Family - February 13, 2016
- Delicious Winter Salad Ideas - February 5, 2016
- Avoiding Christmas Burnout - November 8, 2015
- Holiday Health Do’s and Don’ts - November 5, 2015
- How to Make the Holidays Easier When You Are Divorced - November 2, 2015
- What Retail Stores are Open Thanksgiving Day? - November 1, 2015
- The Best All-Natural Mood Boosters - October 28, 2015
- Best Fall Home Buying Tips - October 22, 2015
- Educational Thanksgiving Activities for Kids - October 20, 2015
- DIY Autumn Candles for Your Home - October 9, 2015